Under the CDC-funded Project Sunrise, FHI 360 aims to enhance institutional and human capacity to accelerate HIV/AIDS response and scale-up and strengthen the quality of the comprehensive package of services primarily for People Who Inject Drugs (PWID) in the eight North East states. Based on North East strategy, Assam State AIDS Control Society (ASACS) in consultation with National AIDS Control Organization (NACO) and FHI 360 has developed a state level implementation plan for Assam in achieving the different activities under the Project Sunrise.
Goal: To build institutional and human capacity to improve and scale-up the quality of comprehensive package of services for people who inject drugs in NE region of India.
Funding commitment for Project Sunrise by CDC is for five years i.e. 2015 to 2020, during which period, CDC and FHI 360 will support NACO and SACS to accelerate the organization and delivery of quality HIV and AIDS services for PWID populations including FPWID and Spouses of PWID, in the NE region through the below:
Develop training modules and conduct trainings for enhancing the capacity of the harm reduction force including SACS and NACO for scaling-up the response in high burden locations in the country
Brief update on the various activities being undertaken in Assam is given below:
1. Lower threshold initiatives such as Secondary Distribution of Needle & Syringes (SDNS):
Till Mar'17 3 Nos. of SDNS outlets have been functioning in Assam in NTO and 1 in Government Set – up on pilot basis. And process has been initiated to roll out the same in the Govt. Medical set up. SDNS in the Kamrup district will be roll out within Aug 17.
2. Strengthening the partnership between law enforcement, health and NGO/CBO in the context of drug use and HIV:
i) Formation of State level working committee on prison HIV and law enforcement has been initiated during the launching of Prison Intervention Plan in the month of Jan 17.
ii) Project Sunrise conducted a State Level Consultation on Harm Reduction and HIV/AIDS with Law Enforcement Agencies in Assam which was attended by around 70 participants with representation from Assam Police, Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB), Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) and Prisons etc. held in the Assam Police Headquarters on 19th Dec 2016.
Way forward and summarizing the key learning:
3. Capacity building under Project Sunrise:
i) The training on monitoring and evaluation, data analysis and data use for program for the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) staff of TI NGOs of Assam was conducted in the month of Oct 16 & Nov 16. Total number of participants was 51 out of that 4 Female and 47 Male. i.e.
ii) The regional ToT on New ICTC Guideline and CBHT for ICTC Counselors District ICTC Supervisors (DIS) were conducted in 3 batches in Guwahati from 8-10 Nov 2016 where total number of participants was 136 out of that 68 Female and 68 Male which includes 25 nos. of counselors from facilities of ASACS have attended with the support of NACO (BSD), SACS & FHI360.
iii) The training on Programme Management and Counseling module for the TI partners under Assam SACs have been completed in the month of May 17 – June 17.
iv) Planning for imparting training to grass root level staffs of TI under ASACS have been targeted to complete by within Aug 17.
4. Forming of District level HIV/AIDS Monitoring Team in priority districts has been initiated.
5. Prison Intervention in Assam: Prison Intervention Project in the Central Jail, Kamrup has been initiated with the support of implementing agency EHA with the support of NACO, SACS and FHI360.
6. District Level Coordination (DCM) meeting are being held regularly in the priority districts viz. Dima Hasao, Karbi Anglong, Cachar and Kamrup as per the follow-up of the NE review meeting held in the month of Jul 16 to strengthen the coordination among different stakeholders such as Targeted Interventions (TIs), NETSU, ASACS and district health administration.
7. State Oversight Committee formed on 23rd Jun 16 to see the overall progress of the innovations supported by Project Sunrise to scale up the HIV intervention programme in the state.
8. Lots of activities with the help of IEC & Mainstreaming division of Assam SACS is being plan to do in the coming days.